This error means means you`ve run out of memory (RAM + swap). Add RAM or
swap, or lower your concurrencies or stop unneeded processes. Have you
checked your memory? Qmail-scanner is *very* resource intensive as it is a
huge perl program, which then calls KAV, and I have a feeling this is
where the problem is.. are you running KAV in daemon mode? I think KAV is
where to look.. You can also set up your server to relay mail to a
separate server which has KAV and/or spamd and have it run over these, and
back to the main server for delivery.

This machine has 2 gigabytes of RAM and 4 gigabytes of swap. I would have to run several hundred simultaneous processes to even get close to that limit. Even when the problem is occuring I have about 1400mb of inactive RAM and I have had no swap usage. In the past I ran 10, 15, 20 deliveries concurrently on smaller footprints with no problems, albeit under 4.x.

Even assuming every mail delivery took up 50mb (we'll take some kind of ridiculous worst case, it's more like 8-12mb), I would think I'd still be able to have at least 20 concurrent deliveries since there are no ulimits, right?

-Justin