At 09:11 PM 3/11/2004, Website Toolbox wrote:
Hello,

I have a T1 line that goes into a linksys switch. The linksys switch then
branches out into my freebsd server. I have the most recent version of
freebsd.

You've got worse problems than that :-) T1 lines don't go into switches, they only go into routers. Some routers do network address translation for you (many Linksys ones for example) and some have extra ports that have no translation. Sometimes they call that the DMZ network.

I need to set the server up to connect to the Internet through the T1 using
the static IP address 12.144.36.179.

Since you're server doesn't have a T1 card, you need to connect your system so that your router routes the 12.144.36.176 subnet. It will look like this:

T1 ---->| LinkSys |<---| Server |

Then

Here is the other information:
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.240

Goes in the ifconfig line.

Default Gateway: 12.144.36.177

Goes in the default router variable in /etc/rc.conf

DNS:
12.127.16.67
12.127.16.68

These go in /etc/resolv.conf

I got it to work on my Windows XP so I know I am just configuring the
freebsd system wrong.

Can anyone please tell me what I need to modify to get this thing working!!
Thanks!!!

-Sandeep.