Robert Huff wrote:
        Specifically: they live in an area with extremely high
temperature+humidity (90-95 F/32-35 C; 90+% hum.) and climate
conditioning is not an option.  They need to backup critical data
files (code base is not an issue) and have tried floppies, ZIP
drives, and CDs ... all of which have proven to have a very short
life span.

Tapes on the shelf will withstand those conditions (use a closed, sealable cabinet and toss a bag of silica gel decissicant in there every once in a while if need be [they recycle if you heat them up to 300F/150C]), but humidity that high is going to be nasty for equipment life in general and is going to be borderline for the tape drive while in operation itself.

        I'd like to hear from people who have Been There and Solved
That.  I'll also take pointers articles that talk about tested
solutions.

That's not me. I've dealt with more than one server room buildout, and I'm familiar with backup media interacting with environmental conditions, but climate control of the server room has always been a requirement (in the positive sense). The temperature you're describing isn't really a problem if you've got adequate air circulation through the racks, but the humidity is something else.

--
-Chuck