* Stewart Yaxley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2004-03-12 08:27]:
> I am installing FreeBSD 5.2.1 on an AMD 64 3000+, w/ 512Meg RAM.
>
> Booting from CDROM with the Boot CD (pulled from the FTP site as an ISO
> image, burned in Win XP).
>
> All the necessary hardware is detected without errors, I am able to get as
> far as partioning my drives (setup root, swap, /var, /usr) and choose to
> install "All" from the "Choose Distribution" screen.
>
> The installation starts -- but the Boot CD returns an error "Unable to find
> a /dist/cdrom.inf file", and indicates that it is unable to continue with
> the install.
>
> The Mini-install has the /dist/cdrom.inf file, but shortly after install
> starts I receive a "Either this is not a Free-BSD disc, there is a problem
> with the CDROM driver or something is wrong with the hardware.  Please fix
> this problem (check the console logs on VTY2) and try again."

Chances are, the message is giving you correct info.  FME,
FreeBSD is a bit more finicky about iffy media and hardware;
I've been able to install Windows with a CD-ROM drive that
was on it's way out, but a FreeBSD install on the same system
bailed due to read errors.  Also, it's possible to burn an
occasional coaster.  I'd try with different media first, and
if you still have trouble, with a different CD_ROM drive.

> I am unable to access/eject the CD drive once these errors occur (CDROM
> drive goes dead).  My CDROM is a Creative 52x CD5220 (occording to the
> Bios) and is correctly recognized by the installer.

The filesystem on the CD-ROM is 'mounted' during the install,
and the CD-ROM cannot be ejected while the filesystem is
mounted.

> How do I check the console logs on VTY2? (or have I obtained a bad iso set?)

And yes, as you've seen, Alt-F2 will get you VTY2, and more
detailed information on why your installation media is not
well-liked.

> stewy

As always, the handbook is chock full o' helpful info...

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

HTH; good luck with your install ;)

--
Joshua

Many Myths are based on truth
                -- Spock, "The Way to Eden",  stardate 5832.3