> I need to add a user to a system, but I don't want this user to be
> able to log in from outside - meaning only from the console itself.
>
> I know root is set up this way, but I'm not sure how to do this.

Even for the root account, I think it depends of the configuration
of the software used to connect from the outside (ssh, etc.).

> Any pointers?

I don't know if it is the best way to achieve this, but setting
the 'ttys.allow' capability of login.conf(5) to 'ttyv0' may help.

  1/ Don't set it to 'console'... or be prepared to boot on LiveCD
     to correct the situation :)
  2/ It may be better not to use the 'default' class.

--
-jpeg.