On Sunday 14 March 2004 04:03, Marwan Sultan wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
>    Im new to Xwindow system, im using Kde, with FBSD-5.1R
>
>    Installation of xserver and kde, everything went fine, and works great
>    I had few small troubles, I would appreciate if someone could give me
>    some notices/hints what I should do, or install after this point.
>
>    Just now the installation finished, i checked few webpages,
>    and few doesnt work,
>
>    Flash / Java not supported? If yes How to do so and enable it?

They are supported but not out-of-the-box. I'm assuming you already know about
the ports collection. If you haven't installed it yet, you should.

For Flash you'll probably want to install www/linux-flashplugin6 and the
www/linuxpluginwrapper ports. Make sure to read the blurb about 'libmap.conf'
that shows after it installs and follow the directions (basically you just
copy and paste the example, it's not that hard). This stuff is needed to make
the FreeBSD browser able to work with binary plugins for linux. I take it you
want it to work in Konqueror. Go to Settings -> Configure -> Plugins. Make
sure it has the correct path to libflashplayer.so, then tell it to scan for
plugins and itt should be found. You may also need to go to File associations
(mimetypes) and explicitly select the Netscape plugin for embedded playing of
the types application/futuresplash and application/x-shockwave-flash.

For Java, you'll need to install it first. Unfortunately, it's not legally
possible for the FreeBSD people to distribute a binary Java package yet for
5.X, that's JDK 1.4). It involves dowloading a Linux JRE to be able to
bootstrap the build, as well as the source and some FreeBSD specific patches.
If you follow the directions you shouldn't have much trouble, except that it
takes a long time to build (once it's compiling you can leave it unattended).
It can take a day or longer depending on how fast your computer is. Once
that's all done, you'll only need to tell Konqueror where to look for java,
just give it the full path, something like /usr/local/jdk1.4.2/bin/java.

>    Other languages? how to enable it? Turkish/Arabic?

There are ports for a lot of the available language versions of KDE.
See /usr/ports/misc/kde3-i18n* and for KOffice /usr/ports/misc/koffice-i18n*
If you install any of them, they will appear as a language choice in your KDE
wizard. At least there's Turkish: kde3-i18n-tr. I had a quick look at
i18n.kde.org and there's also an arabic (i18n-ar) but it's not in ports yet.

>    When everything done, I could go to my KDE window from root access.
>    but when I use my user access, it doesnt go to KDE, and just comes back
>    to the xwindow (the small 3 terminal windows).
>    Should I do something to enable it?

You're getting a plain twm with xterms. Look at /home/you/.xinitrc, it's in
there. To have KDE start when you type 'startx' as a user simply do this:

% echo startkde > ~/.xinitrc

>    Any Advises after this stage?

Here's a few links:

KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org/