-P appears to allow you to show progress graphically with the -v switch also chosen.

I think his example:

cd $directory
rsync -e ssh -vaurP ./ $remote:$directory
rsync -e ssh -vaurP $remote:$directory/ .

was meant to look like:

cd $directory
rsync -e ssh -vaurP ./ $remote:$directory
rsync -e ssh -vaurP $remote:$directory ./ <-- (dot)(slash) not (slash)(space)(dot)

a trailing slash copies directory contents whereas not having the slash copies that directory, too. (I.E. if I am rsyncing /home/me on two machines, /home/me will copy everything including the me directory, whereas /home/me/ will only copy the contents of me. This becomes important - as I have learned the hard way - when syncronizing two dissimilar directories - i.e. /home/me to /backup/me/date.)

hth,
Steve Fettig

p.s. I hope I got Bill's message correctly...

Stephen Liu wrote:

I would do this with two rsync runs from one machine

cd $directory
rsync -e ssh -vaurP ./ $remote:$directory
rsync -e ssh -vaurP $remote:$directory/ .

Hi Bill,

Is the option
-P  --partial  -- progress
means 'incremental'    ???

What will be difference between
'./ $remote:$directory'  and  '$remote:$directory/'

TIA

B.R.
Stephen Liu

Better yet, set up the directories in the rsyncd.conf files on
each machine:

cd $directory
rsync -vaurP ./ ${remote}::dir_module/
rsync -vaurP ${remote}::dir_module/ .