[EMAIL PROTECTED] ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> Hi:
> I am using freebsd5.2, because i have a large number of users counted by ten
> thousand, use the passwd file to store user accounts and password lead to unbearable
> delay. I want to know if freebsd support store accounts in places other than
> '/etc/passwd' file, best support mysql database for passwd database backend.
> any hints is welcome.
> regards billy

Hi,
 Newest versions of FreeBSD support PAM authentication, which can
abstract the authentication database to anything which there is a PAM
module available.

 I would advise against storing user accounts in MySQL, but rather store
them in OpenLDAP (or your LDAP server software of choice). To perform
user lookup you need "nss_ldap", and to perform authentication you need
"pam_ldap".

BR,
Mike