The only reason why I question it is when I lookup the size in windows
(the directory is shared with samba) I see it as less.
>From bsd: 390     /home/henninb/jpg
>From windows: 372KB windows

Is it because of the share or the change in platform?

thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Seaman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 11:33 AM
To: Chris
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: du

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 10:55:33AM -0600, Chris wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 March 2004 10:53 am, Chris wrote:
> > On Tuesday 16 March 2004 10:51 am, Brian Henning wrote:
> > > does du return the size in KB by default?
> > > thanks
> >
> > You can try du -h
> > That's listed in man du
>
> Sorry - I forgot to answer - Yes

Actually the answer is 'no, but...' -- by default du tells you the size
in disk blocks, ie. multiples of 512b.  However, the standard
/etc/login.conf on FreeBSD causes the environment setting:

    BLOCKSIZE=K

to be made, causing all the numbers du outputs (unless told otherwise on
the command line) to appear in kilobytes.  This is all quite clearly
explained in the du(1) man page.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                      Savill Way