On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 12:39:42AM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 06:58:23PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > because i'm only running a desktop and sylpheed has it's own mail transport
> > system, i shut down sendmail.  however, since making this change, i've
> > noticed that the root account is no longer receiving the daily
> > accounting digest.
> >
> > i've had a look at the 310.accounting file in periodic, but am not sure
> > what to change to get the accounting back.  is sendmail an absolute
> > requirement for this service or is there some other way one of you might
> > now about?
>
> Try looking at /etc/defaults/periodic.conf instead -- it's a lot
> clearer in there how to make the daily/weekly/monthly jobs write their
> output to a log file rather than in an e-mail.
>
> Nb. Don't edit /etc/defaults/periodic.conf -- just create
> /etc/periodic.conf and put in there the settings you wish to override.

Bah! I'll forget me own head next.  I meant to say that if you set the
output to log files like so:

    daily_output="/var/log/daily.log"
    weekly_output="/var/log/weekly.log"
    monthly_output="/var/log/monthly.log"

then the default /etc/newsyslog.conf is already setup to cycle those
logfiles neatly.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                      Savill Way