Hi all,

  setting up ntpd, I find that its default location for the drift file
is /etc/ntp.drift.

In a way it is part of the configuration an may well belong in /etc, on
the other hand I'd rather just have files in /etc which _I_ modify.

I would expect the content of ntpd.drift to vary over time, and somehow
I would have expected it to belong in the /var part of the hierarchy,
but 'man hier' does not offer any serious evidence (should it be
/var/db/ntp.dift)?

So, what's the canonical way to place this file? (And no, I do _not_
want to know at this time whether anal-retentive is spelt with or
without a hyphen. I will post that question in a separate thread as need
arises :-)

Cheers,
           Stefan