I mean after a cvsup try running :
portsdb -uU : that will create an index of your installed & outdated ports & if you
will have stale and corrupt dependencies you have the chance to fix them interactively
then try portupgrade -aRr this will check your dependencies back & forth and
gracefully try to resolve them

tools are : portcvsweb   ports_glob   portsdb      portversion
portinstall  portsclean
maybe there are some more out there but portupgrade I find satisfactory for my needs