Zhang Weiwu wrote:

Hello. I'm using the dns service on a router box. This router does
provide dns service, on which every computer in the LAN has a local domain name (computername.our.lan)

Now the built in dns server's function is limited; it does not relay MX
type of record. Thus sending mail using sendmail always get hostname lookup failure.
1. If I change my name server address in resolv.conf to use my ISP's dns
server, I cannot access lan computers using local hostnames.
2. If I use our dns server, I cannot send mails through sendmail.

So what should I do? Can I ask sendmail to use ISP's dns server, while
the rest programs use local dns server?

I just realized I can do this in resolve.conf:
====
# our LAN's dns server
nameserver 192.168.0.1
# ISP