On 3/23/2004 8:37 AM, Joshua Lokken wrote:
So, does it seem reasonable that switching perl could have caused/solved this problem? How 'bleeding edge' is doing a 'use.perl port'? Is it something that indeed requires a large rebuild of one's system? If so, how does one go about finding the list of things which need to be rebuilt?

/usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade is a great tool for managing software and dependencies. Install it, read the man pages, and do:

portupgrade -rf perl

That's if you're using perl from the ports collection.  It will
rebuild all apps that require perl.

Indeed it is a great tool, I use it nearly everyday. But in this case it seems to not help because the system perl (at least for 4.9) is not a port. So, it appears, ports that depend on the system perl - don't know it. When I run that command all that it does is reinstall the perl port.

So I don't have any ports that depend on the new perl. But when I made the new perl the system perl (by running 'use.perl port') my system became unstable and running 'use.perl system' fixed it. Is this a known risk?

ksb