Matthew Seaman wrote:

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 08:33:25AM -0800, lee slaughter wrote:

I'm trying to do a methodical install (for once).  4.9 from a mini CD.
1st thing, when we get to kernel config  menu, visual mode,
no network devices show up active.  In the inactive drivers section
i see a little list of only six.

question 1: this is hardly a comprehensive list, is it?
there's no explanation in the handbook why it is so short.

That configuration screen only shows ancient ISA cards that cannot identify themselves to the system. Any modern NIC (either PCI or Cardbus) will be autodetected. Basically you can just plough on reguardless with your install and all of your network interfaces should be picked up.

A note to this effect should be in handbook.

How do you make sugs to handbook?
Or any docs?  (I've cc'd freebsd-doc on ths)

In fact it might be safe to say that if you pop the hood of your PC and there are _no_ ISA cards then you can skip kernel config step?

lee