On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Richard P. Williamson wrote:

> What's a good sh algorithm for the above?  (assume < 10
> seconds indicates error condition and a 50 second sleep
> between iterations when necessary, and I don't need a
> 'five attempts then sleep' thing).  Also, assume I've
> simplified for the home audience.  The sh script is
> lots more involved then the example above implies.

You might, if the possibility is there, want to use the exit value of
the main process to indicate errors, which is perhaps a little more
reliable.

If you want the time in seconds between two points, you might try
something like this:

        start_time=`date +%s`
        # ... do something
        end_time=`date +%s`
        time_taken=$(($end_time - $start_time))

New Freedom of Information Act: theirs, to yours. Happy now?