[ kernel modules ]

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 11:03:49AM -0800, Joshua Lokken wrote:
> * Matthew Seaman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2004-03-26 10:56]:

> > What you don't compile into your kernel (by eg. 'options NFSCLIENT')
> > will generally be compiled as a loadable module instead -- here
> > nfsclient.ko

> I've wondered about this -- is that the significance of the
>
> NO_MODULES parameter in make.conf?  IOW, if one was to specify
> no_modules, would that build only the kernel modules that were
> specified in the conf?

If you put NO_MODULES=true into /etc/make.conf, then you'll only get
the kernel build.  You won't get any extra loadable modules.

Other than that, you can specify a list of modules to build if you
don't want all of them:

    MODULES_OVERRIDE=      linux ipfw

Not sure what happens if you configure those options in the kernel
config, and also add them to the 'MODULES_OVERRIDE' list.

There's also 'MODULES_WITH_WORLD=true' which separates building kernel
modules from building the rest of the kernel.  This is solely for
backwards compatability -- I can't think of any good reason to use
this option otherwise.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                      Savill Way