[ please cc me as I am not on the list]

I have been trying to upgrade cups to 1.1.20 and have been running into some problems with libraries not being found (specifically jpeg.9 and tiff.4). After a few different iterations of pkg_add, portupgrade, portinstall, and accompanying pkg_delete, pkg_deinstall, make install, etc., I finally tried symlinking the .so files to the numbered versions that don't seem to exist and all seems to be well.

 ln -s /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.a /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.so.9
 ln -s /usr/local/lib/libtiff.a /usr/local/lib/libtiff.so.4

pkgdb doesn't seem to have any problems (I have run it enough times today), cvsup has done its magic a couple of times.

I thought portinstall/upgrade -rR would fix any out-of-date ports and make everything happy? What am I doing wrong to make this libraries not get installed?

-- Paul Beard <www.paulbeard.org/> paulbeard [at] mac.com