Hi all,

Ok, I am running a 4.7 FreeBSD box that is a web server running apache.

It looks like some module that I have is leaking memory, and eventually, apache crashes on restarts becuase of this error :

shmget() failed: No space left on device

which means it can't get any more memory, which I understand.

When I look at the top list, it shows me something like this :

Mem: 140M Active, 879M Inact, 151M Wired, 181M Cache, 199M Buf, 660M Free

But when you look at the processes that are still up, they hardly take up any memory.

So, my question is this.

Is there a way to free up Inactive memory from crashed processes ???

Without just rebooting the box ???

I know that I need to find the source of the leaking and crashing to begin with, but in the mean time, if it happens, I'd like to free up the memory manually, so I can get the box running again...

Thanks,

Tim.

SimpleNet's Back !
http://www.simplenet.com