* Zev Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2004-03-30 11:14]:
> Hi all,
>
> If I want to copy a bunch of files over ssh without extra servers, it's
> easy enough to use the following command:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED] "cd /directory/to/copy && tar -cvf
> - *" | tar -xf - -C .
>
> This works without complaint. However, when I change the options passed
> to tar, adding gzip compression on one end and decompression on the
> other:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED] "cd /directory/to/copy && tar
> -cvzf - *" | tar -xzf - -C .
>
> I get this error message:
>
> gzip: stdin: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored
> tar: Child died with signal 13
>
> Is my method wrong? It appears that the files transferred just fine,

I don't think so...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED] "cd /test && tar -cvzf - *"
| tar -xzf - -C .

GUIDE.pdf
HeterogenousClusters.pdf
SecurityAndopenMosix.pdf

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Both forms work happily here, but i did notice on subsequent copies of
the same files I experienced some data corruption:

GUIDE.pdf
HeterogenousClusters.pdf
SecurityAndopenMosix.pdf
tar: SecurityAndopenMosix.pdf: file changed as we read it
linux-kongress_2003_openMosix.pdf

Joshua

Suffocating together ... would create heroic camaraderie.
                -- Khan Noonian Singh, "Space Seed", stardate 3142.8