On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 05:03:09PM +0200, Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Paul A. Hoadley wrote:
>
> > It looks like I have upgraded parts of XFree86 while installing some
> > other ports, and I now seem unable to make even local connections to
> > my X server.  I must admit, X is something I set up years ago on this
> > machine, and have just set and forgot---as such, I do not even have a
> > good appreciation for what information might be useful for people to
> > help me debug this.
>
> I guess the best idea would be to have a look at
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.html
> and try how far you get on your own.
> Also you should save your old XF86Config somewhere. It's syntax
> has changed from XFree86-3 to XFree86-4, but probably you will be
> able to recognize most important settings.

Thanks.  I did bite the bullet and make the XFree86-4 port.  I had
originally wondered whether I could get away with the hybrid, but
there didn't seem to be much point.

> > While I am keen to get suggestions on how to correct this access
> > control glitch, I would be happy to fully upgrade X if that's
> > recommended.  Somewhat embarrassingly, I'm not even sure how this
> > should be done---via ports?
>
> Either via /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4 or pkg_add -r XFree86-4

Thanks Uli.  I wasn't sure whether that port would install everything
correctly in the standard places, but, of course, it does.

--
Paul.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]