I removed all the versions of libtool, and tried rebuilding expat but that didn't help. It would install libtool13 and I would get funky configure output and a failed install.

I then went into ${PORTSDIR}/textproc/expat2/work, removed the expat directory, re-extracted from the distfile, and ran configure, make and name install from there. That seemed to be OK, then I went back to ${PORTSDIR}/textproc/expat2/ and did a make install WITH_PKG_REGISTER=1. That worked well enough to build gettext 0.13 with its dependency on libiconv. So all looks to be normal, or close to it.

If anyone has any ideas what this is all about and how best to cope with it going forward, I'd be grateful to know about it.

Thanks.

--
Paul Beard
<www.paulbeard.org/>