If the system is already running Linux, you can try the depenguinator.

http://www.daemonology.net/depenguinator/

I haven't used this and make no warranty or claim yadda yadda.

However, anything you're going to be able to do remotely is likely going to
be more difficult than guiding your Johnny on the spot through the install.
The core install is pretty simple.

-Dan