On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 10:10:00PM -0700, Seunghun T. Lee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was just wondering which compiler is used to compile the binaries
> on the freebsd iso's. I am holding out from upgrading until it is
> compiled with gcc3 preferably gcc3.3. I remember it was a big deal
> when RH linux was shipped compiled with gcc3 and advertised speed
> increase. I'm currently on freebsd 5.0p4 current or something like
> that. I'm intrigued by ATAng, since the only way i'm getting the ata
> drives to spindown is with a patch i found online.

FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT uses gcc 3.3.3, and has been using gcc 3.x for
nearly 2 years.

I think reports of major speed increases for real-world applications
are likely to be mostly hype, though (yes, I'm sure you can find
microbenchmarks that demonstrate performance increases).

> also, 5.3R's release date is "TBD 2004." What's TBD stand for?

To Be Determined.

> frankly, is 5.3R worth waiting for? or should i go with 5.2.1?

Take a look at the features listed for 5.2.1 (and 5.2 and 5.1 and 5.0,
back to whatever version you currently have installed) and decide for
yourself whether it's worthwhile updating.

Kris