RazorOnFreeBSD wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have some troubles with ssh....
I have a Freebsd server 4.9 working in a closet without screen.
So I would like to use it through ssh from another station with OpenSSH to configure
it when I need it.
I can connect with a user login / password, but not with root / password.
Is there any reason ? did I miss something ?

I use the command : ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED] (This one doesn't work with the right password)
to connect or : ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED] (This one does)

Ouputs from OpenSSH :

Connection to 192.168.1.1 closed by remote host.
Connection to 192.168.1.1 closed.

Not really clear for me..... :s
And I'm pretty sure the password is correct because when it's wrong it just asks me
the password again!

Does anybody have any idea ?

Thanx

Razor.

Root logins are disallowed by default on FreeBSD
for security reasons.  The recommended approach
is to log on an account that is a member of the
"wheel" group, and su(1) to root when necessary
for administrative purposes while doing your routine
work under a less-privileged UID...

That said, I believe you can allow root logins by
adjusting /etc/ssh/sshd_config ....

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.