Kent Stewart wrote:
On Monday 12 April 2004 01:46 pm, Mazen S. Alzogbi wrote:

Hi,

I already posted this question in this list and got some answers that
was half-solutions to my case. I read a lot about this issue in every
resource I could get my hands on. I am very keen to make my sound
system work on my FreeBSD 4.9 system. This is a laptop with built-in
sound system. It's not old, pretty new so I suppose PCM is my way to
go.

I recompiled the kernel aftering adding "device pcm". After reboot
and dmesg | grep pcm I get the following:

pcm0: <SiS 7012> at device 2.7 on pci0
pcm0: unable to map IO port space
device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6

Can someone please guide me through the process of troubleshooting in
a step-by-step fashion?

There isn't one.

I see the following and all I did was add "option pcm" and follow the steps in the Handbook. Since it isn't working for you, you may have some competition for the I/O port space.

pcm0: <SiS 7012> port 0xc400-0xc43f,0xc800-0xc8ff irq 10 at device 2.7 on pci0
pcm0: <C-Media Electronics CMI9738 AC97 Codec>

You might get a clue by running "pciconf -l". You might also find something by doing a "boot -v" instead of booting the normal way.

They may have added a new chipset and you need the pciconf information to patch the sound driver. Everytime I have received a "returned 6", I have had to program something or get some one else to do it. Your best bet there is the people that are maintaing pcm.

Kent

Kent,
Thanks for your reply. I ran the pciconf -lv command I can see the following under multimedia?:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:2:7: class=0x040100 card=0x42011558 chip=0x70121039 rev=0xa0 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)'
device = 'SiS7012 PCI Audio Accelerator'
class = multimedia
subclass = audio

But what does that mean ? Doens't it mean it can see it but can't probe it?

I believe that the pcm0 is fighting for IRQ 10 which is used by:

ohci1: <SiS 5571 USB controller> mem 0xec001000-0xec001fff irq 10 at device 2.3 on pci0
fwohci0: <1394 Open Host Controller Interface> irq 10 at device 11.0 on pci0

Is there anything I can do to resolve this, you think?

Thanks again,

--
Mazen S. Alzogbi
http://alzogbi.com/mazen