William Bailey wrote:

I also get the following message from dmesg:

(sa0:ahc0:0:6:0): Invalid request.  Fixed block device requests must be
a multiple of 1 bytes

| I am currently trying to get a DSS-4 type drive working on a 5.2.1
| RELEASE system but am haveing no joy at all. From dmesg at boot the
| device if found as
|
| sa0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
| sa0: <ARCHIVE Python 06408-XXX 8130> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-3
| device
| sa0: 80.000MB/s transfers (40.000MHz, offset 32, 16bit)

Hi. You haven't had any response yet so a long shot might be in order. I see you're using an adaptec scsi controller. I had dreadful problems with a brand new AHA29610 under 5.2, where lots of errors that seemed to point to a bad tape drive disappeared when I swapped the controller for an old Tekram DC390 I had lying around. I haven't tried the AHA again with 5.2.1 to see whether these probs have been cured.

PWR.