Thats fantastic it works!

I thought it would be something simple...

I tried a

$more /etc/resolv.conf

But the file did not exist. So I su'ed and

#echo "nameserver 192.168.2.1" > /etc/resolv.conf

(this is the correct IP for the Mac)

then

#ping www.google.com

And it worked immediately! Thanks very much, I feel pretty stupid with such an easy answer, but shouldn't this info be provided by dhclient? If I move to another network, say with a gateway of 10.x.x.x or other, will I have to change resolv.conf again? Is there anyway to get this automatically or is it a feature of FreeBSD/dhclient?

Many thanks again!

----Original Message Follows---- From: Olaf Hoyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: Killermink! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: dhclient and host resolution Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 11:21:42 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Killermink ! wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a Apple PowerBook running Panther and have set it to share my modem
> internet connection over the Ethernet port. FreeBSD is connected to this
> and should get all config via DHCP. When dhclient runs, it successfully
> gets an IP Address from the Powerbook, and I can ping between machines... A
> quick look at the leases file also shows that it has the Powerbook as the
> Gateway and as the DNS server. However, I can only get to the Internet
> from the BSD box using IP addresses, trying a url such as www.google.com
> always fails as it cant resolve the host, plus the response is immediate as
> if it hasn't tried or waited for a response.

Well, sound like DNS prblems.

What is the content of your /etc/resolv.conf?

then, when there is an entry like:

nameserver 192.168.1.1

(192.168.1.1 being the IP of the MAC), then check if the DNS on your MAC
is working by:
####
nslookup - 192.168.1.1

set q=any
freebsd.org
####

Well, then your MAC should resolve some IP and mx data, when not, the
DNS on your MAC is misfunctional.
You also can specify DNS in the /etc/resolv.conf that are on the
outside, or you could run named as caching resolver.

Therefore, populate /etc/hosts with the IP/name of FreeBSD box, run
/etc/named/make-localhost
and then start named.

In /etc/resolv.conf put a :
nameserver 127.0.0.1

as first nameserver statement, and FreeBSD will directly resolve...

HTH
Olaf

-- Olaf Hoyer [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten, ob der, welcher sie erlebt, nicht etwas Fuerchterliches ist. (Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Boese) _______________________________________________ [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"