On Sunday 18 April 2004 01:12 pm, antenneX wrote:
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Kent Stewart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: "antenneX" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Remko Lodder"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2004 1:17 PM
> Subject: Re: Lost expat dependency
>
> > On Sunday 18 April 2004 10:22 am, Remko Lodder wrote:
> > > antenneX wrote:
> > > > It seems that when I updated to expat-1.95.7, it replaced some
> > > > 1.95.5 dependencies needed for some other programs. For
> > > > instance some daemons will not load (or update) because of this
> > > > error: #Shared object "libintl.so.4" not found#
> > > > or then some ".so" module cannot be loaded
> > >
> > > Did you use portupgrade to update it recursivly? then everythint
> > > that had .5 as dep was reinstalled using .7 instead..
> > >
> > > Perhaps you can (dirty solution)
> > >
> > > ln -s libintl.so.5 libintl.so.4
> > > in the directory wehere libintl.so.5 lives.
> >
> > The solution is in /usr/ports/UPDATING. They changed the interface
> > and you have to portupgrade -rf expat.
> >
> > Kent
> >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > > I updated the expat according the the instructions in
> > > > /usr/ports/UPDATING.
> > > >
> > > > Any suggestions on how to fix this....???
> > > >
> > > > Thanks!
> > > >
> > > > Jack
> >
> > --
> > Kent Stewart
> > Richland, WA
>
> Kent: Indeed I had read UPDATING as my message stated, I used the:
> #portupgrade -rf expat
> ...but, some programs are making that same complaint and won't load.

The libintl problem is a port that uses an old version of gettext. You 
may have to track them down one at a time. The libintl.so.4 is version 
0.11.5. Libintl.so.5 is 0.12.1 and the current version is 
gettext-0.13.1_1, which is libintl.so.6. If you are lucky, you may find 
which one is doing it by using "pkg_info -R gettext". I would be 
surprised that a pkgdb -F wouldn't fix the links and let you update 
dependancies of gettext.

Make sure you are using the current version of portupgrade and ruby. It 
seems to fix a lot of those problems.

The upgrade to 0.12.1 suggested the following
portupgrade -rf gettext -m BATCH=yes

The BATCH tells it to upgrade everything without having you choose from 
a menu and probably still applies in your situation. There are a _LOT_ 
of ports that depend on gettext and you have to update each one of 
them :(.

There were problems when they created gettext-old and promptly deleted 
it after they fixed ports that used it. It was easier to pkg_delete -f 
gettext-version and reinstall gettext and then run pkgdb -F to fix the 
links than it was to use portupgrade. I think portupgrade deals with 
that now but I wouldn't bet money.

Kent

-- 
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

http://users.owt.com/kstewart/index.html
_______________________________________________
[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Reply via email to