Noah said the following on 4/19/2004 12:18 AM:

thanks for your response but there are two files that I am using .htaccess and
.htpasswd . Might you be getting the .htaccess and .htpasswd file permissions
mixed up?

Not at all. Both need to be world readable, or at least readable by the user running apache.

there is still no cure at this point since i check the file permissions and
both .htaccess and .htpasswd are both world readable.  I even moved the
.htpasswd to the same subdirectory with world readable permissions and still
there is no password prompt from my browser.  I go directly to the directory
index of /usr/home/<username>/public_html/<subdir>/

here are the permissions of the files:

-rw-r--r--  1 <username>  <username>  101 Apr 18 16:09
/usr/home/<username>/public_html/<subdir>/.htaccess

and

-rw-r--r-- 1 <username> <username> 21 Apr 18 16:09
/usr/home/<username>/public_html/<subdir>/.htpasswd

any other ideas?

So when you go to http://yourserver/~yourusername/subdir it doesn't prompt you for anything?

Check it against this:

AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile htpasswd.file.location.and.name.here
AuthName "Something to make sense"
require valid-user

Best,
Glenn