These may be helpful:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/10/30/FreeBSD_Basics.html
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2001/01/17/FreeBSD_Basics.html

Marshall

--
Marshall Pierce
Harvey Mudd College '06
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Apr 20, 2004, at 12:26 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 08:17:20AM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 06:32:13AM +0100, Zen wrote:

Being new to BSD I was wandering if someone can point me in the correct
direction. I want to let users to change their own passwords. But I do not
want them to use things like cat dog or dictionary names. Could some one
point me in the correct direction please. I would like to use some thing
like 6-8 characters with number and upper and lower case letters

Checkout the security/checkpassword-pam port.

http://checkpasswd-pam.sourceforge.net/

Dammit. No, don't bother checking that: it's something different. Doesn't do what you want at all. However, using pam modules to enforce good standards for passwords is the way to go. But I can't see anything appropriate in the ports collection.

Cheers,

Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil. 26 The Paddocks
Savill Way