recently I installed the Gnome 2.6 port on my machine, and everything
works just fine when I start X via startx. However, when I try to start
gdm (using /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh) as display manager i get an error
pop-up with the following text:

"The greeter program appears to be crashing. I will try to use another
one."

This repeats a few times until I get the chance to kill the gdm process.
Checking the messages log, I see the following warnings:

Apr 21 17:27:13 morreion gdmgreeter[541]: greeter_parse_config: No
configuration file: /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/gdm.conf. Using defaults.
Apr 21 17:27:51 morreion gdmgreeter[567]: greeter_parse_config: No
configuration file: /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/gdm.conf. Using defaults.

These confuse me because gdm.conf is exactly at the specified location
and it's world readable so gdm should have no problem at all reading the
file.

I tried to turn on the extra debugging in gdm.conf but since it won't
read the darn file, I won't get extra debug output.

Is that a file from a previous version of gdm?
Maybe the syntax has changed, and the error message is just\
misleading.

The gdm package/ port comes with a sample ...

pkg_info -L gdm2-2.6.0.0_1 | grep gdm.conf
/usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/factory-gdm.conf

which you could copy in to place and see if that works better.