Peter Tokanel wrote:

Hi,

I am new to unix but I have managed to setup a home network using Free BSD. The
FreeBSD box is a gateway/firewall/router for my Windows XP box and a wireless access
point. The XP box can access the web just great using the shared connection.
My problem is when email is used on the WindowsXP box , no messages can be
sent out. I can receive email from my ISP's pop-server just fine. I am not sure if I need
to start some kind of mail daemon or what???? Is it my firewall configuration????
I have included some of my setup files, hopefully someone can tell me what I am doing
wrong. Thanks in advance......

"I'm not a Unix developer, and" *don't* "play one on TV".
I do run a firewall, though.  My $0.02 :

If you're using the default /etc/rc.firewall in "simple"
configuration, you don't have a firewall rule to allow
outbound connections to an SMTP server (Tcp port
25).

Try issuing the following as the superuser on your
FBSD box:

$ipfw add 00023 allow tcp from me to any 25 setup

     and then see what happens from the Windows
machine.  Please note that "00023" is an arbitrary
choice of rule numbers; you will want this rule fairly
close to the top.  You might do "ipfw show" and decide
where the rule should fit before deciding what number
to assign... <?>

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.