Hello.

I have six or seven hundred megabytes of email imprisoned in a few .pst (Microsoft Outlook "Personal Folders") files. I've been looking for an alternative email client lately. Of course, the issue is converting these old messages so that they are usable by the new software -- ideally so that multiple clients could access the mail. The thought that immediately occurred to me was that one of the standard Unix formats -- mbox or maildir -- would be appropriate for this task.

After scouring the internet for possibilities for converting between the hated .pst format and mbox or Maildir, I found a few people who'd seemingly hit upon an ideal solution: add an IMAP folder to Outlook and copy their mail to that folder, then do the reverse inside a client that stores its mail in mbox or maildir format. Then it struck me -- =leaving= the mail in the IMAP server would give me even more flexibility.

Is it feasible to use the IMAP server as a mail storage solution like this? Can anyone recommend a good IMAP server (for FreeBSD of course) and give me some tips on considerations for choosing one? I blush to say it, but I've never even had an IMAP account.

Thanks in advance.

--
D Money