Hi all,

I am getting the impression that I am using the ports and packages system the
wrong way, but can't find a good tutorial on how to use them to their best. I
would be quite happy to write one up, but I need to understand it first!

My problem is that my ports tree is always a couple of minor versions ahead of
the available packages.
(I use `cvsup /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile` as suggested in the
handbook)
If I add a program with e.g.

#portinstall gaim

it compiles it from source, and updates a load of libraries and dependent
ports to the current versions.

This means I have a load of libraries that are different versions to those the
precompiled packages expect, and some packages even refuse to install.

I end up having to install more and more things from the ports, which is
slooow (do you have any idea how long it takes to compile kde?) and creates
even more problems if I try to use a package.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to hold back cvsup to the same version
as the packages on FreeBSD.org?

On a related note, where do the errors from sysinstall go? It refers to the
"debug screen" but I can't find it on any terminal. What about if you run it
in a konsole or xterm?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

All the best,

Rich