I'll track down that logfile and check it out. I didn't have X11 running at the time, since I figured it might have to upgrade some components that X11 runs on. It rebooted the machine, and when I scrolled up to check out all the startup text, everything looked in order. Hopefully something will jump out in the logfile.

From: "Lucas Holt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Ian Bowers'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: newbie question:  Gnome 2.6 upgrade
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:44:22 -0400

I would run portversion -v | grep "<" and make sure everything was upgraded to start with. If all the gnome and X11 related stuff appears to be upgraded, it might be hard to track down which build was at fault. I think the gnome upgrade script made a logfile in tmp. I would check to see if there is one there and if so see what happened. Did you have x11 running when you tried the upgrade? Did the machine reboot or simply logout?