Don't buy IBM x series server unless you know all hardware components completely
supported by FreeBSD.

Check out the list below is the problem encountered by me and still not yet solved and
now wondering if I should move back to linux where everything is ready..
http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20473

But I like BSD more for its well known stability, port collection, cvsup updating......

Frank

Bill Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 22, 2004, Troy Settle wrote:

>I've had two wonderful experiences with www.asacomputers.com. Both were
>nearly identical machines (save for the raid controller), one for FreeBSD,
>the other for w2k server. I'm getting ready to order a 3rd box from them in
>order to deploy dialup accelleration.

We got a 1U box from asacomputers.com that was delivered with a couple of
screws cross threaded and wrenched off on the DB-9 serial connectors at the
back of the case (I personally ban any non-manual screwdrivers and such
from the shop). ASA replaced the main board, but it was a bit of a hassle.

We use IBM xSeries rack mount servers for most of our critical sites,
largely because of the 3 year on-site support from IBM. It's a lot easier
on our customers in the boonies than to wait for somebody from Seattle to
get there. The xSeries boxes are easily the best engineered of any Intel
servers I've seen with hot-swap everything, and even allow one person to
mount them on their standard slide rails unassisted.

Bill
--
INTERNET: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

When I hear a man applauded by the mob I always feel a pang of pity
for him. All he has to do to be hissed is to live long enough.
-- H.L. Mencken, ``Minority Report''