I see what your saying and i suppose I have two points:

1) Can you install a port without installing the ports tree?

2) If you must install the ports tree, what is the best way to keep it up to date?

I am still new at this, and can't seem to find packages for all the ports in the tree...

----Original Message Follows---- From: Joe Altman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Reply-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: Killermink! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: updated ports tree Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:23:37 -0400

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 10:04:06PM +0000, Killermink ! wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am about to (re)install FreeBSD 5.2.1, and wish to make sure I have the
> latest ports afterwards. I do not really wish to install the whole ports
> tree from sysinstall as disk space is at a premium, and i will (soon) have
> a fast internet connection so seems pointless when i am only going to
> install like 10 ports. Also, the ports tree on the 5.2.1 ISO is out of date
> now.
>
> I have read the manual over and over, but cannot fathom how I can make a
> port without the whole ports tree being installed...
>
> Is it possible to make a port in this way, and how is it done?

If disk space is at a premium with an out of date ports tree, and
ports were likely added in the interim, then disk space will still be
an issue with a current ports tree, no?

So you may want to:

1) use packages, and skip ports entirely

or

2) install the ports tree, and update it as a part of a make world
   process.