For those interested, I've solved my problem with gdm2. It was of course
something stupid :P

apparently I've done `su` instead of `su -` when I installed the X and
Gnome ports. This caused the shell to adopt the umask of my normal user,
which is 027. Now the gnome hierarchy was installed accessible only for
owner and group (root:wheel). Since my normal user is in wheel, gnome
would work, but for gdm:gdm the dirs were inaccessible. I found the
problem when gdmchooser would complain about not being able to find the
gdmchooser.glade interface file, which of course was installed...

duh, I feel stupid.

Anyway, thanks for your reactions :)
Regards,
Chris