First, I am not an expert. Second, I have little Solaris experience. I
have,however, run FreeBSD 5.2.1 and solaris9 x86 on the same hardware.
I had never seen the nickname 'Slowlaris' before that, but I came to
appreciate it ;)

Solaris advocates used to say that it was slow on uniprocessor systems. I think freebsd 5.2.1 through that out the window. (because of SMP kernels)

I haven't used solaris 9 x86, but i have seen *bsd vs solaris 7 and 8 on x86 hardware. Solaris is a tad bit slow. In fact, its not just ia32 hardware. I had an old sparc that came with solaris and i put NetBSD on it. NetBSD was easily twice as fast. (not sparc64) It was a sun sparcstation IPC. (25mhz) The only advantage to using solaris is you don't have to go through all the hoops to get a native jdk. :)

Lucas Holt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]