> MYKERNEL is name of the custom kernel. If you want to build a new
> kernel, you must give it some name, for example MYKERNEL. In
> handbook you are advised to create a kernel "MYKERNEL" as a copy of
> kernel "GENERIC":
> # cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> # cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
> Then you should edit MYKERNEL and so on as described in handbook.

Just to add a little something for flavor, I've found it useful to
keep my config file elsewhere and use a symbolic link from
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf, i.e.

# cd /root
# mkdir kernel-config
# cd kernel-config
# cp /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC ./MYKERNEL
# cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
# ln -s /root/kernel-config/MYKERNEL

Thus, editing, config and compilation works perfectly by the book, but
if I feel like it, I can nuke /usr/src/sys entirely and reinstall the
kernel sources without losing the precious customised config file.

Of course it is no different from backing up the config file before
reinstalling, but I've found it convenient a couple of times when
noodling with my kernels.

Regards,
 -Jan Christian