On May 12, 2004, at 5:06 PM, Tim Aslat wrote:

In the immortal words of "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

"The best way to handle rc.local, however, is to separate it
      out into rc.d/ style scripts and place them under
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/."

That's right

So I created an rc.d style script for my own service and stuck it in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/.  It does not have a .sh on the end as it should
run in a subshell as detailed in the rc man page.  I also added

There's your problem, all scripts in rc.d must have a .sh extension or they will be ignored (unless included from another script/program)

rename to myscript.sh and it will work

However, the rc man page says:

" 4. Call each script in turn using run_rc_script() (from rc.subr(8)),
which sets $1 to ``start'', and sources the script in a subshell.
If the script has a .sh suffix then it is sourced directly into the
current shell.
"

So what you are saying is that rc on startup does NOT do the same stuff on /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ as it does on /etc/rc.d? It does not get a list, check them for nostart, order them and then run each one using run_rc_script()?

If that is so, why does the man page say to make rc.d style scripts and place them under /usr/local/etc/rc.d if it is not going to do rc style processing on them?

Trying to wrap my head around this

Thanks
Chad