On Tue, 11 May 2004 20:10:48 +0800 (CST)
Stephen Liu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Ion,
>
> Tks for your advice.
>
> Freebsd5.2
> ========
>
> - snip -
>
> > I use 3 cvsup files: one fot the ports, one for the
> > docs and one for the
> > system (src). This way I can update ports and docs
> > more often and be
> > sure the system had known-to-be-working sources (I'm
> > on -CURRENT).
>
> Noted with tks
>
> > My /etc/ports-supfile is:
> > *default host=cvsup3.FreeBSD.org
> > *default base=/usr
> > *default prefix=/usr
> > *default release=cvs tag=.
> > *default delete use-rel-suffix
> > ports-all
>
> What will be the difference between
> *default host=cvsup3.FreeBSD.org
> and
> *default host=cvsup10.FreeBSD.org

Only that you will use another cvsup server.

> > (Don't refuse categories in ports, when you'll try
> > to `make index` I
> > will fail from time to time ).
>
> Could you please explain above in more detail.  Tks

You can choose to update only a part of the ports collection, either by
using cvsup refuse files or by specifying "sub"-collections in the cvsup
file. See the end of the /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile for
those. However 9 of 10 posts on ports@ regarding failed `make index` are
because the poster has a partially cvsup'ed ports collection and because
of that he runs into trouble. The time difference is not big; the
INDEX-5 file on your system keeps track of ports and their dependencies
and is by various pkg_* directly and port* tools indirectly.

Also if you want a fast cvsup use `cvsup -s supfile` ; "-s" wound make
cvsup to do less checks on you machine and the time will be
significantly smaller; but from time to time do a "complete" cvsup (I do
it before building the index).

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"