Robert Storey wrote:

STEP 2: Creating a Log Directory
Create a directory for the CUPS log files:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:# mkdir /var/log/cups

Are you sure this is needed? I don't think I have ever done this, though my CUPS installation is happy and running fine.

STEP 3: FreeBSD-specific Issue
On FreeBSD, CUPS stores its executable files in /usr/local/bin/ whereas the
traditional lp executables are in /usr/bin/. Because /usr/bin/ is in the command
path before /usr/local/bin/, your CUPS files will not be able to execute. For
example:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:# which lpr
/usr/bin/lpr
This problem is handily solved by making file /usr/bin/lp* non-executable, like
this:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> chmod -x /usr/bin/lp*
Now, let's try the previous command again:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:# which lpr
/usr/local/bin/lpr
Success! This is what we want.

But for those who also rebuild world every now and then, they better add this to /etc/make.conf:

  CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=yes
  NO_LPR=yes

before building world and installing CUPS.

STEP 4: Starting the CUPS Daemon
You need to set up a script that starts the CUPS daemon on bootup. There is a
sample startup script which you can just copy and make executable, like this:
cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d>
cp cups.sh.sample cups.sh
chmod 755 cups.sh
You could reboot now to start the daemon, but since you're in this directory
anyway, you could start it manually:
./cups.sh start

Urgh, a 'reboot' is the very last resort to get this up and running. ./cups.sh {reload|restart|start|status|stop} should be advertised here!

Good work to start a CUPS tutorial for newcomers to the OS.

Cheers, Rob.