On May 13, 2004, at 10:11 PM, Bruce Hunter wrote:

I have two computer systems. 1 windows 2k system where I do web development work, specifically php development. The other system is a FBSD headless system that I control via ssh, from my windows system. The FBSD system is my local webserver where I do my testing before transfering to another server.

My question is this. What is the best way to get my files from my windows system over to the FBSD webserver. FTP? Samba? or someting else?
Also, I want to make this webserver a file server wher I can save my downloads and mp3's. Not sure what which direction to go with these two tasks?

Probably the easiest thing to do is to use SAMBA to create a sharepoint and then put "common files to move" into that.

I don't use my Linux system as a file server so I don't have samba shares, but to open a "share point" to get some files to a Win9x system I have on the network I have the Windows system sharing a folder marked "public" then I can mount it and transfer things from the command line. If you want to make the FBSD system a file server, I'd put the share on that and then move things around as your needs dictate.

It entirely depends on your end goals (FBSD needs the files *from* a Win system *and* will be acting as primary file storage for files you want to access from the Win system)...if it were just to occasionally transfer a file, I'd mount a share set up on the Windows system...

-Bart