Kris,

That is *exactly* what I was looking for. Thank you!

I was trying to avoid the sysinstall route if possible.

Tim

Kris Kennaway wrote:

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 10:17:50AM +0200, Ruben de Groot wrote:

On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 09:48:27PM -0600, Tim Pushor typed:

Hi all,

I do CPIO style image backups of my FreeBSD systems. In the event that I need to restore one of these backups, I usually use the FreeBSD installation media to fdisk and create filesystems, then mount the new filesystems and restore the CPIO archive.

This system works great for me, but I would like to automate the restoration process. I have worked a little with fdisk and disklabel back in FreeBSD 2.x days (and trying early versions of OpenBSD) but wouldn't really know where to start automating that process. ( I do write code, but the thought of trying to use disklabel to read the geometry of the disks, calculate sizes, cylinder boundaries, etc give me a headache )

I would really like to specify minimum sizes of partitions and filesystems, with one having all the excess (rather than having to count cylinders).

I've done some searching on Google and havn't really come up with anything conclusive.

Sounds like you want to use sysinstall in batch mode. The manpage
sysinstall(8) gives a detailed explanation on how to do this.

See also the diskprep port that was committed a few days ago.

Kris