I'm curious to see if you've had any success with the solutions offered so
far.  I'm having similar issues with Firefox 0.8 in KDE 3.2 on 5.2.1: the
browser hangs at random times when attempting to resolve hostnames.  I
thought it was some weird reverse-dns issue, or maybe something to do with
the fact that I'm forced to use an unofficial driver for my NForce2 NIC
(net/nvnet -- http://www.onthenet.com.au/~q/nvnet/).  But then, like you
wrote, Lynx works just fine.  I've tried ifconfig the media type with no
success.  (Anyone?)

Evan