Is there a way to give a "shutdown now; <use /bin/sh>; exit" command from the command line if I'm logged in remotely? Or do I really need to use "reboot" and go through the whole hardware reinitialization?

I don't think this is possible. The reason is (if I understand things correctly) that if you're in single user mode, the network isn't started, so there's no way of accessing the machine through ssh, rlogin or something similar.
I think you're best off if you hook up a serial console to your machine and remotely access that console. There are commercial solutions for this but any low-end PC will do.

Phil.