On Sun, 9 May 2004 3:17 am, w sx wrote:
> Thank you! I used atacontrol to set it until I
> rebooted... and after a reboot.. its detected
> correctly.
>
> --- Chuck Swiger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > w sx wrote:
> > > Does anyone have any tips on getting the CDRW
> >
> > drive
> >
> > > set to UDMA mode?
> >
> > Add the following to your /boot/loader.conf:
> >
> > hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"
> >
> > ...and reboot.  You might also be able to use
> > "atacontrol".
> >
> > --
> > -Chuck

> "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Have a look at man ata.  Here is the important part

 ATAPI devices are set to PIO mode by default because severe DMA
problems are common even if the device capabilities indicate support.
You can always try to set DMA mode on an ATAPI device using
atacontrol(8), but be aware that your hardware might not support it
and can potentially hang the entire system causing data loss.

Just incase you start having problems.