Re: The correct way to run "make"
From:
Android66 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 19:50:26 +0200
To:
Antoine Jacoutot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

To:
Antoine Jacoutot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Often you need to specify values, like for postgresql:

make PREFIX=/some/other/dir

And here's another question. I always use the same options for make, make install and make clean, ie:

make PREFIX=/some/other/dir
make PREFIX=/some/other/dir install
make PREFIX=/some/other/dir clean

This is because I noticed that some ports (I forgot which one I was having this experience with) need these options in order to install and clean correctly as they generate the package name based on the options specified. Is what I'm doing OK or is there another, beter/simpler/easier way to do it?

Greetings!

If there are options you use every single time you run make, put them in /etc/make.conf. If, in the above example, that PREFIX was only meant for postgresql, just hand make all the targets on one line, instead of dividing it up into three.

Instead of:
make <options>
make <same options> install
make <same options> clean

do:
make <options> install clean

That will perform the same task, with less typing required. :-)

-Henrik W Lund